New CDT codes for COVID-19 documentation
The Code Maintenance Committee (CMC) held a virtual meeting to approve the inclusion of eight new CDT procedure codes for COVID-19 documentation, prompted by the current ongoing public health emergency. “The ADA Council on Dental Benefit Programs recognizes the importance of supporting dentists’ documentation needs and Centers for medicare & Medicaid Services’ interest in vaccination reporting by dentists,” said Randall Markarian, DMD, Code Maintenance Committee Chair.
Traditionally, new codes accepted and approved by the CMC are effective on January 1st of the following year, however, Dr. Markarian and the rest of the committee agreed that implementing new CDT procedure codes for COVID-19 reporting should not be delayed until January 1, 2022.
The new CDT procedure codes for COVID-19 vaccine administration in a dental practice are:
- D1701 Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine administrations — first dose
- D1702 Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine administrations — second dose
- D1703 Moderna COVID-19 vaccine administration — first dose
- D1704 Moderna COVID-19 vaccine administration — second dose
- D1705 AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine administration — first dose
- D1706 AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine administration — second dose
- D1707 Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine administration — single dose
There was also an approved CDT code for COVID-19 testing: D0606 Molecular testing for a public health-related pathogen, including coronavirus. This CDT code already contains entries for documenting antigen and antibody testing.
But wait, there’s more!
There were several other 2022 coding changes, revisions, and deletions accepted by the CMC that include sleep apnea codes and orthodontic treatment codes. Subscribe to this blog to stay up-to-date.
To learn about all of the 2021 code changes and revisions, enroll in the Ultimate Coding Bundle which includes an extensive deep dive into all of the 2021 codes, 4.5 CE credits, and the Coding with Confidence in 2021 CDT Edition from Dr. Charles Blair – available for a limited time! Get your coding bundle before this deal is gone.
[Source: American Dental Association]